Monday, September 2, 2013

Thursday, August 22, 2013. AKA Surgery Day


SURGERY DAY! Oh my gosh.....



By some miracle I was able to get a good night’s sleep the night before. Everyone was up bright and early, 4:30am, to make sure everything we needed was in order at the house, and everything we needed for the hospital was packed in my huge Victoria’s Secret getaway bag. We had to be at the hospital for check-in at 6:00am, and we were actually on time! This is coming from a family who is always running late….



The hospital desk staff got me all checked in, and I was moved to a patient room to wait for surgery. A nurse came and put my three bands on; name, fall risk, allergy. Then the anesthesiologist came in to start my I.V. This guy was awesome! He gave me a local anesthetic in my hand before the I.V. so I didn’t even feel it! The last time I got an I.V. in my hand it was pretty painful so I was happy to not have to feel it. Then we waited for two bags of fluid to drain into me before the doctors came to start giving me medicine. It took a little extra time because the surgical team had a late surgery the day before, so they slept in an hour. Hey I’d rather wait around and wait an extra hour than have a tired surgical team! Plus it was 6am, and I was lying in a bed… I didn’t mind.



Eventually Dr. Gunson came in a talked to me a bit. He told me that he would come see me in the recovery room, and then again in my hospital room. I also was introduced to the surgical nurse who would be assisting Dr. Gunson. Then someone, I don’t remember who, rolled me out of my room and down the hallway towards the operating room. I wasn’t feeling too nervous or afraid before this… But wow, I got scared! Luckily in the hallway the anesthesiologist put some medicine into my I.V. to relax me not put me to sleep, but just make me feel calm. That stuff worked great because I don’t remember anything after this point. I know they brought me to the operating room, and then put me to sleep, but I remember nothing.



About six hours after that I woke up in the recovery room. The nurse came to check on me and see how I was doing. I of course couldn’t speak, but I made a hand gesture to her that I wanted to write something down. She found me a pen and some scrap paper, and I was able to tell her the two things that I really wanted: My mom and some 7up. Obviously she couldn’t really get those things for me so she just kind of walked away.

I woke up again in my hospital room. My parents were there and so was another nurse. I didn’t have any pain; I was just really sleepy and weak. I insisted that my mom take some pictures on my camera so I could document everything, and I took some pictures on my phone. I checked on my text messages from my friends and let them all know the surgery was over, and that I was okay. (My mom had already called them, she had a list of people to call, but I forgot). Then I checked my social media; facebook, pinterest… and talked to my sister and boyfriend over text. What? I’m 19 of course I was on my phone right after surgery!

Dr. Gunson came in a little later, and told me the surgery went well and that my bite was perfect. He even cut off some of the rubber bands holding my jaw closed.

Most of my hospital stay is a blur from there. I know I stayed two nights; they kept me an extra night. I remember telling my aide that I hated emptying catheter bags, and that I was sorry they had to do mine, but my mouth was rubber banded closed so I don’t know if they understood me. Oh, I also remember that I really wanted some 7up and no one would give me any! I was just so thirsty! I’m pretty sure I cried because I was so frustrated that I couldn’t have it. Needless to say eventually I got some, but I don’t know if it was day one or two.


 
Waiting for the anesthesiologist. 

I.V and a little bit of blood. Thank goodness for the local anesthetic. 
They made me take my bun out to put it in the hair net. Almost ready to go! 
Surgery is all done. 


Not looking so great. I was coughing up a lot of blood. 





 Starting to get swollen





Some more post op:


Mom and dad. My mom stayed at the hospital with me for the two nights that I was there. 

Talking to my friends, boyfriend and family. Letting them all know I was okay. 

Using the suction to get the blood out of my mouth.


Love you all! 
 I coughed up a lot of blood. It got all over my stuff. (This was after being cleaned down two times prior... ) LOTS OF BLOOD! 



2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! This is great for understanding what you're going through and I'm sure will be helpful for other people who undergo the surgery. :) I'm also amazed at how quickly you're starting to look better. I know the recovery is extremely long and painful, but recent pictures on FB (not here yet) show progress... even if you're not feeling it yet!

    Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so crazy! I know you were waiting so long to have this surgery. I remember you telling me about one day before school started, in the senior hallway. I'm glad its over with! I just hope you recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete