Thursday, August 29, 2013

Why I Even Needed Surgery...


So I thought I should probably explain why I needed to get jaw surgery in the first place...
          There are multiple problems that cause my need for surgery. I have Demporomandibular Disorder (TMD), a disorder characterized by; pain in the muscles of the jaw, neck and shoulders, (the pain I experienced was so severe that I took pain medications daily and slept with ice packs on my face), dislocated or displaced disk,( my disk was pinched) and degenerative joint disease. People who have TMD do not always have all the symptoms associated with TMD, however I did. Lucky me. I also had a large open bite, with only one contact spot on the second molar on one side. Stunted growth as a result of the joint disease also caused problems. I also had a slightly compressed airway because of the receded location of my lower jaw.
My teeth are closed... that's as far as they will shut

         
   
 With the use of splint therapy my joints were able to reach a point where they were stable, and no longer degenerating. The splint therapy also helped move the disk that had previously been pinched to a comfortable area. The second time I had braces, with my new Orthodontist, Dr. Way, my open bite was adjusted so that it appeared to be less open, however the contact points did not increase. Because my orthodontist and my surgeon worked closely together they were able to position my teeth so that they would fit together perfectly after surgery.

Hopefully this gives a decent explanation about why I needed to surgery.   :)










No comments:

Post a Comment